|Fakultät oder Zentrum||Fakultät für Sprachwissenschaften und Literatur, Geisteswissenschaften, Kunst und Erziehungswissenschaften|
Université du Luxembourg
Maison des Sciences Humaines
11, Porte des Sciences
|Büroadresse||MSH, E02 25-430|
|Telefon||(+352) 46 66 44 6639|
- Central fields of theoretical philosophy: philosophy of mind (phenomenal consciousness
and self-consciousness, in particular), epistemology, ontology/metaphysics, philosophy of language
- Rationality and reasons
FRAP - the Freedom, Rationality, and Autonomy Project
in cooperation with Postdoc Christian Loew, Institute of Philosophy, UL (July 2016 - June 2018)
We investigate how human free will fits into the natural world. FRAP aims to develop an account of how freedom is attainable even in a deterministic world. We act freely when our actions are governed by the autonomous exercise of rational capacities. The project will be closely informed by how the medical sciences assess properly working mental capacities, and its results will bear on issues of responsibility.
BELUX - colloquia in contemporary epistemology: in cooperation with Prof. Chris Kelp, KU Leuven.
BELUX2 - Normative epistemic reasons, July 9-10, 2014, Luxembourg
BELUX4 - Norm(s) of belief, April 24-25, 2015, Luxembourg
BELUX6 - Perception and Evidence, June 10-11, 2016, Luxembourg
Other research topics:
Virtue epistemology and varieties of reliabilism for epistemic justification and knowledge
Normativity of belief and action, believing and acting for reasons
The metaethics of epistemic and moral normativity
Representationalism about phenomenal consciousness and self-consciousness
Essentialism for laws of nature and fundamental properties (nomological structuralism)
Conceptual vs. non-conceptual representation, teleosemantics
Introspective self-knowledge and reflection
- I am a member of the research group EXRE ("Experience and Reason"), based at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland.
Our last conference, "The normative significance of consciousness", took place in Dez. 2011 at FribourgI .
- I cooperate with the cognitive scientist Hanspeter Mallot (faculty of biology, University of Tübingen, Germany).
We work on the topic of spatial cognition and self-representation. We intend to set up a research group, under the title "Ego-space", and we have already worked out the outlines. Our goal is to understand how self-representation could originate from spatial cognition (instead of social cognition or language).
We already had a workshop on these topics, in Jan. 2012, at the University of Luxembourg, and we plan to continue with further workshops.
- I am member of the bureau of the SOPHA ("Société de Philosophie Analytique").
Last updated on: 02 Aug 2016
- since 11/2010 Professor for systematic philosophy, University of Luxembourg
- 2007 – 2008 Temporary professorship at the University of Magdeburg, Germany (winter term 2007/2008)
- 2006 – 2010 Assistant professor (with Prof. Manfred Frank) at the University of Tübingen
- 2002 – 2005 Research project on the metaphysics of facts, funded by the Fritz Thyssen Stiftung, Germany
- 1998 – 2001 Scientific assistant (with Prof. Manfred Frank) at the University of Tübingen
- 1996 – 1997 Scientific assistant (with Prof. Manfred Frank) at the University of Tübingen
- 2007 Habilitation, Privatdozent, at the University of Tübingen, Germany / Habilitation thesis “Die Metaphysik der Tatsachen” (mentis, Paderborn)
- 2001 PhD in philosophy at the University of Tübingen, Germany / Dissertation thesis “Natur und Begriff des Bewußtseins” (mentis, Paderborn)
- 1996 Master in philosophy (Magister) at the University of Tübingen, Germany
- 1995 Diploma in physics at the University of Tübingen, Germany
- 1996 – 2001 philosophy PhD studies at the University of Tübingen, Germany
- 1992 – 1996 philosophy (Magister) at the University of Tübingen, Germany
- 1991 – 1992 physics and philosophy at the University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA
- 1988 – 1995 physics (diploma) at the University of Tübingen, Germany
Last updated on: 30 Nov 2010
„Die Metaphysik der Tatsachen“, mentis, Paderborn, 2008.
“Natur und Begriff des Bewußtseins”, mentis, Paderborn, 2002.
“Die Anatomie der Subjektivität”, together with Th. Grundmann et al., Suhrkamp, Frankfurt/M., 2005.
"Non-conceptual knowledge", Philosophical Issues 24, 2014, 183-207.
"Gettier for justification", Episteme 11:3, 2014, 305-318. Author's original here:
"The structuring causes of behavior: Has Dretske saved mental causation?", Acta Analytica 29:3, 2014, 267-284. Co-author: Peter Schulte, University of Bielefeld, Germany. Online first: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12136-014-0218-8
"Seeing oneself through the eyes of others. Beckermann on self-consciousness", Philosophia Naturalis 50:1 (2013), 25-43 (co-author: F. Poehlmann).
"Was ist Analytische Philosophie?", Protosociology Oct. 2013.
"Epistemic virtue and values", in: T. Henning, D. Schweikard (eds.), Knowledge, Virtue, and Action, Blackwell, Oxford, 2013, 119-139.
"How Gettier helps to understand justification", GAP8 proceedings (2013). The paper can be found here: http://duepublico.uni-duisburg-essen.de/servlets/DocumentServlet?id=31200
"Three kinds of reliabilism", Philosophical Explorations, 16:1 (2013), 59-80. To get a copy click here: http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/ImYQZw7vm7bt8kCF7xrn/full
"Intuitions, concepts, and imagination“, Philosophical Psychology 23:4 (2010), 529-546.
"Realismus, robuste Wahrheit und kognitive Nötigung“, in: M. Grajner, A. Rami (Hg.), Wahrheit, Bedeutung, Existenz, ontos-Verlag, Frankfurt/M., 2010, 41-56.
“Introspective self-knowledge of experience and evidence”, Erkenntnis 71, 1 (2009)
"Gründe und Werte: ein Vergleich von theoretischer und praktischer Rationalität“, in: G. Schönrich (Hg.), Wissen und Werte, mentis Verlag, Paderborn, 2009.
“An alternative to endurantism and perdurantism: doing without occupants”, in: L. Honnefelder, E. Runggaldier, B. Schick, (Hg.), Unity and Time in Metaphysics, de Gruyter, 2009.
"Willensfreiheit und der Preis für den Kompatibilismus“, in: P. Spät (Hg.), Zur Zukunft der Philosophie des Geistes, mentis, Paderborn, 2008.
“In defence of metaphysical analyticity” (co-author: J. Horvath, Cologne), Ratio XXI, 3, (2008).
“Causal powers, realization, and mental causation”, Erkenntnis 67, 2 (2007).
"Wahrheit und Wissen. Einige Überlegungen zur epistemischen Normativität“, Zeitschrift für philosophische Forschung 61, 2, (2007), 1-28.
"Ernst Tugendhat, Egozentrizität und Mystik “, Zeitschrift für philosophische Forschung 61, 1 (2007), 123-128.
“Immediate self-knowledge and avowal”, Grazer Philosophische Studien 70 (2005), 193-213.
"Über die Natur von Tatsachen“, Philosophia Naturalis 42 (2005), 313-340.
"Substrate, Substanzen und Individualität“, in: K. Trettin (Hg.), Substanz, Klostermann, Frankfurt/M., 2005.
"Ist introspektive Selbstkenntnis evidentiell?“, in: A. Newen (Hg.), Selbstwissen, privilegierter Zugang und die Autorität der ersten Person, mentis, Paderborn, 2005.
"Bewusstsein und introspektive Selbstkenntnis“, in: Th. Grundmann et al. (Hg.), Anatomie der Subjektivität, Frankfurt/M., 2005.
"Truthmaking, recombination, and facts ontology", Philosophical Studies 128 (2006), 409-440.
"Epistemic means and ends: in defense of some Sartwellian insights", Synthese 146 (2005), 357-369.
"Temporally localised facts and the problem of intrinsic change", Ratio XVIII (2005), 39-47.
"Why epistemic contextualism does not provide an adequate account of knowledge”, Erkenntnis 61 (2004), 375-382.
Substrate, Metaphysica 5 (2004) 35-62.
"Kripkes and Chalmers' Argumente gegen den Materialismus", Philosophia Naturalis 40: 1 (2003), 55-81.
"Die Rolle des Wissens und des Wissensbegriffs in der Erkenntnistheorie", Zeitschrift für philosophische Forschung 56:1 (2002), 125-131.
"Können wir uns auf die Wahrnehmung verlassen?", in: Th. Grundmann (Hg.),Erkenntnistheorie. Positionen zwischen Tradition und Gegenwart, mentis, Paderborn, 2001, 225-245.
"The reference of de re representations", Grazer Philosophische Studien 62 (2001), 83-101.
Online papers, submitted papers
- I have just finished (and submitted) a paper on possession of evidence, Williamson's equation 'E = K' and its relation to non-epistemic perception. If you are interested in reading it, please let me know.
- "Besires and the weakness of will argument“, manuscript, Tuebingen, 2007.Besiresweaknessofwillargument07b
- "Truth – from the ashes“ (co-author: E.T. Zimmermann), manuscript, Tuebingen, 2003.HofmannZimmermannTruthFromAshes
- "Perception: perspectival content and perceptual achievement“, manuscript, Tuebingen, 2003.Causperc
- I have written (and submitted) a paper on introspective self-knowledge of one's own experiences. Please contact me if you want to get a copy.
- I have also written (and submitted) a paper on evidence and justification which tries to discuss cases in which one is luckily in possession of evidence. Please tell me if you want to have a copy.
- "Externalism and memory: don't forget it": this is an earlier piece of mine (unpublished, 1995) that has been mentioned in a discussion on externalism, self-knowledge, and memory (lead by Peter Ludlow and others).
Upcoming talk at the ECAP Congress 2017, Munich, 21-28 August, "In defense of the reasons account of reasoning"
Upcoming talk at the Third SaarLux Conference on Reasons and Rationality: Jonathan Dancy on Reasons and Reasoning, 6-8 July 2017.
Upcoming talk at the FADO Workshop, "Free Will And the Ability to Do Otherwise" (FRAP project), co-organized with Christian Loew, 16-17 June 2017.
Talk at the workshop "Teleosemantic Perspectives on Perception", University of Bielefeld, organized by Peter Schulte, 7-8 October 2016: "The rational role of perception"
Talk at the workshop "Tagung zur sozialen Erkenntnistheorie", University of Cologne, organized by Thomas Grundmann, 24-26 June 2016: "Das Zeugnis anderer und Gründe"
Talk at the workshop "Perception and Evidence", University of Luxembourg, organized by Andy Orlando and myself, 10-11 June 2016: "Explaining perceptual knowledge"
Talk at the conference "The Normativity of Attitudes" - co-organized by the Department of Philosophy of the University of the Saarland, Saarbrücken, and the Institute of Philosophy, University of Luxembourg, 3-5 Dec. 2015.
Talk at the Leuven Epistemology Conference 2015 on "Epistemic Norms" at the KU Leuven, organized by Chris Kelp, 9-11 Nov. 2015.
Talk at the workshop "Reasons, explanations and rational accountability" at the University of Fribourg, CH, 6-7 Nov. 2015.
Talk at the GAP9 congress at Osnabrück, 16 Sept. 2015, on "Intentionalism and Disjunctivism about perceptual experience".
Talk at a workshop on Quassim Cassam's recent work on self-knowledge, University of Cologne, organized by Thomas Grundmann, 4-5 July, 2015: "On the value of self-knowledge: phenomenal self-knowledge and existential self-knowledge".
Talk at the Colloquium of Practical Philosophy, University of the Saarland, Saarbrücken, "Evolution and Ethics: against the Darwinian Dilemma for Moral Realism", 1 February, 2015.
Talk at the Philosophy Department of the Unversity of Bochum, "Intentionalism and Disjunctivism about Perception", 8 January, 2015.
Talk at the international conference "The Epistemology of Perception" at the KU Leuven, 25-26 Sept. 2014: "Perceptual justification and non-conceptual perception".
Talk at the workshop "Normative epistemic reasons" at the University of Luxembourg, 9-10 July 2014: "On explaining normative epistemic reasons".
Talk at the workshop "Neue Perspektiven der epistemischen Rechtfertigung" at the University of Dresden, 18-19 Jan. 2013, on the distinction between apriori and aposteriori justification.
Talk at the workshop "New work on concepts" at the University of Luxembourg, 23-24 Nov. 2012: "Representation of sameness and identity".
Talk at the workshop "Structuralism about fundamental reality and natural modality" at the University of Luxembourg, 26-27 Oct. 2012: "Dispositions, qualities, and structures".
Talk at the congress of the GAP ("Gesellschaft für Analytische Philosophie"), GAP8, Sept. 17-20, 2012, Konstanz, Germany.
Here is an abstract:
Talk at the ESPP conference at London, Aug. 28-31, 2012: "The generality constraint and the nature of concepts". Here are the slides:
Talk at the international conference Intuition and evidence - naturalistic or antinaturalistic? at Nancy, June 12 - 14, 2012: "On the epistemic role of experience". This conference was co-organized by the Université de Lorraine, the University of Saarbruecken, and the University of Luxembourg.
Talk at the SOPHA congress, May 4-6, 2012, Paris: "The generality constraint - vertical, not horizontal".
Talk the workshop "Teleosemantics Today", Febr. 16-18, 2012, University of Erlangen, Germany.
Here are the slides:
Talk at the workshop "Self-representation and spatial cognition", Jan. 18-19, 2012, at the University of Luxembourg.
Here are the slides:
Last updated on: 03 Apr 2017